Primeplus Norfolk Senior Center has an array of classes, education seminars and fitness programs concerning seniors in the Hampton Roads area. Many of the classes and services at Primeplus are geared towards seniors and can help prevent falls.
According to the National Council on Aging (NCOA), falls are the leading cause of fatal and non-fatal injuries for older Americans. Falls threaten seniors’ safety and independence, and generate enormous economic and personal costs.
At Primeplus, we offer Stretch, Flex and Tone, Balance and Agility, Core on the Floor and my other fitness classes that help seniors strengthen their bodies to help prevent falls. In addition to these classes, Primeplus offers a full range of other active wellness programs. Through practical lifestyle adjustments, evidence-based falls prevention programs, and community partnerships, the number of falls among seniors can be substantially reduced.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
• One-third of Americans aged 65+ falls each year.
• Every 14 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall; every 29 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall-related injury.
• Falls are the leading cause of fatal injury and the most common cause of nonfatal trauma-related hospital admissions among older adults.
• Falls result in more than 2.4 million injuries treated in emergency departments annually, including over 772,000 hospitalizations and more than 21,700 deaths.
• In 2012, the total cost of fall injuries was over $36 billion.
• The financial toll for older adult falls is expected to increase as the population ages and may reach $59.6 billion by 2020.
Falls with or without injury also carry a heavy quality of life impact. A growing number of seniors fear falling and, as a result, limit their activities and social engagements. This can result in further physical decline, depression, social isolation, and feelings of helplessness. Explore the Primeplus calendar for a full range of active wellness programs!
Primeplus Norfolk Senior Center is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for older adults in South Hampton Roads. We support seniors’ intellectual, physical, emotional and social needs and have been the pre-eminent provider of services, activities, and information addressing the needs and interests of older adults in South Hampton Roads since 1968. We offer Active Adult Programs, Adult Day Services, Geriatric Case Management and Nutrition and Transportation assistance.
For more information about how we can help you and/or your family, please contact Primeplus at 757-625-5857. Visit us on the web at www.primeplus.org.