FIRE SAFETY

Fire safety is common sense. However sometimes we need to be reminded of the hazards. First , consider doing things that prevent fires:

  • Never put clothing or paper over a lamp.
  • If you use your fireplace, have a chimney sweep routinely clean your chimney.
  • Control the size of your fireplace fire and use seasoned wood only.
  • Control matches and lighters to keep them out of the reach of children
  • When cooking, turn the pot & pan handles so they cannot be hit or bumped
  • Never run electrical cords or extension cords under rugs, carpets, or doors
  • Do not overload electrical circuits. Most electrical outlets are rated at 15 Amps
  • If your plug practically falls out of the wall socket, consider replacing the wall socket. They do wear out and are not that expensive. Worn out receptacles (wall sockets) cause a high resistance electrical connections and can get very hot. Overheated electrical connections can start fires.

How do you know your place is on fire? You could be engulfed in dense smoke in short order, especially if you are sleeping. So keep your smoke alarms in good working order and tested monthly to ensure reliability. Replace the battery annually, like on your birthday. Smoke alarms, when wired correctly, should all sound the alarm when any detector senses smoke. This affords you TIME to get out of danger. Seconds count when there is a fire. REMEMBER, Smoke alarms have a useful reliable life of about ten years! If your detector is 10 or more years old, replace it! The manufacturer’s date can usually be found in the battery compartment or on the back of the unit. Have a plan to get to safety should you have a fire. This plan should include a place for everyone to meet up. This will preclude going back into a burning building looking for someone that has already escaped. Be safe!

, , ,

Comments are closed.