Heading into your retirement years brings a slew of new topics to grapple with, and one of the most maddening may be Medicare. Figuring out when to enroll, what to enroll in and what coverage will be best for you can be daunting. To help, Primeplus will be hosting a presentation with a Humana representative to come and answer your questions tomorrow, July 6, 2016 at 1:00 pm. If you cannot attend, below are 5 things to do in your first year with Medicare:
- Fill out an Authorization Form [PDF, 228 KB] if you want your family or friends to call Medicare on your behalf. Medicare can’t give personal health information about you to anyone unless you give permission in writing first.
- Make a “Welcome to Medicare” Preventive Visit appointment during the first 12 months you have Medicare. This free, one-time comprehensive “Welcome to Medicare” preventive visit puts you in control of your health and your Medicare from the start.
- Sign up for MyMedicare.gov, our secure online service where you can access your personal Medicare information 24 hours a day, every day. You can:
- Track your health care claims
- View your “Medicare Summary Notices” (MSNs)
- Order a replacement Medicare card
- Check your Medicare Part B deductible status
- View your eligibility information
- Track your preventive services
- Find information about your Medicare health plan or Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D), or search for a new one
- Keep your Medicare information in one convenient place
- Learn what Medicare covers. You’ll get a list of tests, items, and services that are covered no matter where you live. If your test, item, or service isn’t listed, talk to your doctor or other health care provider about why you need certain tests, items, or services, and ask if Medicare will cover them.
- Decide if you want to go paperless, and get your next free copy of“Medicare & You” [PDF, 5.91 MB] electronically! Next October, you’ll get an email from Medicare linking you to “Medicare & You” online instead of a paper copy in your mailbox.
Read more: https://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/new-to-medicare/5-things-to-do-in-your-first-year-with-medicare.html