Some older people may have the impression that they have passed the age at which starting an exercise program will do them any good.
Starting an exercise program can be a challenge no matter what stage of life you are in. It’s best to start slow. Exercising for just 10 minutes to begin with is great. Then gradually work your way up. At Primeplus we offer a variety of classes for all fitness levels. Please visit our website at www.primeplus.org for a class schedule.
Benefits of Physical Activity for Seniors
- Helps maintain the ability to live independently and reduces the risk of falling and fracturing bones.
- Reduces the risk of dying from coronary heart disease and of developing high blood pressure, colon cancer, and diabetes.
- Can help reduce blood pressure in some people with hypertension.
- Helps people with chronic, disabling conditions improve their stamina and muscle strength.
- Reduces symptoms of anxiety and depression and fosters improvements in mood and feelings of well-being.
- Helps maintain healthy bones, muscles, and joints.
- Helps control joint swelling and pain associated with arthritis.