Primeplus Norfolk Senior Center offers Ten Summer Health Tips for Seniors to Beat the Heat
Protecting ourselves as we age, we should be more aware of the potential health risks that are uniquely associated with both our age and the changing seasons. As many of you know, Primeplus Norfolk Senior Center is “Beat the Heat” Water station June thru September. We are located inside the Norfolk Fitness and Wellness center, located at 7300 Newport Ave, Norfolk, VA. Our office hours are Monday thru Thursday 8:30-4:30 PM and Friday 8:30-12:30 PM.
Top 10 Summer Health Tips for Seniors
1. Drink plenty of liquids. Drink eight or more 8-ounce glasses per day of water and/or fruit juices every day to stay hydrated. Remember to bring your water bottles when you join our fitness classes each week. For a full schedule of our classes, click on the following link to view our Active Adult Fitness and Wellness calendar: http://primeplus.org/active-adult-fitness-wellness-calendar/.
2. Avoid caffeinated and alcoholic beverages. Alcohol, soda, coffee and even tea can leave you dehydrated quickly. If at all possible, try to reduce the amount of these beverages, especially during hot weather. Plain or flavored water is a good substitute. Remember, Primeplus Norfolk Senior Center is a “Beat the Heat” water station from June 1 thru September 30 every year.
3. Dress appropriately. Wear loose-fitting clothes in natural fabrics like cotton. Dress in light colors that will reflect the sun and heat instead of darker colors that will attract them. Also, think about wearing light layers since many of us get a little chilly in air conditioning.
4. Sunblock. When outdoors, protect your skin from damage by wearing hats, sunglasses and a sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher.
5. Stay indoors during extreme heat. In extreme heat and high humidity, the body works extra hard to maintain a normal temperature.
6. Air conditioning. If you do not have air conditioning in your home, go somewhere that does. Primeplus Norfolk Senior Center is a great place to go! Enjoy our classes, stay for lunch and enjoy time with your friends. We have over 50+ classes and activities for you to try and we always welcome suggestions for more.
7. Avoid extreme outdoor heat. If you need to get out of the house and don’t drive, call a taxi, a friend or a transportation service. Do NOT wait outside for the bus in extreme heat. If you need assistance in scheduling transportation or signing, please contact Primeplus at 757-625-5857, ask for Chantel.
8. Take a cool shower or bath. If you are absolutely unable to leave the house and do not have air conditioning, take a cool bath or shower to lower your body temperature on extremely hot days. You can also put a wet towel in the freezer and use around your neck to cool off. Remember to keep drinking your liquids.
9. Keep your home cool. Temperatures inside the home should not exceed 85 degrees Fahrenheit for prolonged periods of time.
10. Signs of heat stroke. Know the signs of heat stroke (e.g. flushed face, high body temperature, headache, nausea, rapid pulse, dizziness and confusion) and take immediate action or call 911 if you feel them coming on.